Dear VAMS Families,
Our Student Council officers and representatives are at work again! The Student Council decided that for the month of October they wanted to support the Ronald McDonald House. On Friday, the Council had a second snack sale. The money will be used to purchase needed items for the Ronald McDonald House in Durham.
The second quarter is off to a great start! The students returned from Fall Break ready to learn. Prior to break we spent time during morning announcements talking about being respectful. I must say that I have noticed many of our students going above and beyond and showing a sense of pride inside and outside our building. I think our students appreciate the work of our day porter, Mr. Aguilar, and want to help keep our building clean. Our teachers were also ready as their lessons have been terrific. Our students are excited about their experiences in science and they should be as our science teachers have lessons that engage all types of learning styles. We’ve had several field trips this year and our students come back excited about the trip and can share the purpose of the trip and what was learned. Our students are also respectful and responsible and represent Voyager in a very positive manner.
Mr. Husk and Mrs. Allen, along with their students enjoyed the day at Hill Ridge Farm. The weather was terrific and the students enjoyed learning about pumpkins and other fall items. We are happy they had the opportunity to go on the trip.
Next week I’ll share pictures from the 4th grade mountain trip as well as the 8th grade energy field trip.
Gwen Johnson email@example.com
Voyager Middle School
TECHNOLOGY NEWS FROM MRS. MCKENNAThis week, Oct.16-20, students in technology classes will join schools around the nation to celebrate Digital Citizenship Week. The week was created to empower our students to make safe, smart, and ethical decisions online. The digital world that our children are learning and growing up in is incredibly exciting. In the next week, your children will take part in classroom lessons designed to educate and guide them in becoming safe, responsible, and respectful digital citizens.
As a teacher and parent, I believe that a joint-effort between parents and teachers is essential in supporting students’ digital life. Digital citizenship doesn’t end in the classroom. Home environments also shape kids’ relationships with technology. While I promote healthy technology use in school I invite you to take part in one of the activities listed below.
- Explore the Digital Citizenship resources I’ve provided on My VAMS Website.
- Check out Common Sense’s “Family Tip” Sheets.
- Read up on issues like cyberbullying, digital footprints, and online relationships, to better understand what your students are experiencing every day.
- Try the #DeviceFreeDinner challenge with your families to drive home the message of balance with device use: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/device-free-dinner
ATTENDANCEIf your child was absent or tardy 5 or more times during the first quarter you received an attendance letter. Several of our students have 10 or more tardies which means a parent needs to have a conference with Mr. Smith, Mrs. Farrish, and me. I will be contacting you on Monday. Thanks to those of you who have been proactive and contacted me. I am disappointed in the number of tardies we had this week. Many of you did put forth extra effort to get to school on time and it was appreciated. Once your child has 20 tardies/absences, I must send your child’s name along with your contact information to Mrs. Lucas. Remember your child must be in his/her class before the 8:15 bell rings in order to be counted present and not tardy.
- Tuesday, Oct. 24 -- Fall Sports’ Awards for middle school, 6:00
- Tuesday, Oct. 24 -- PTO Lunch for Staff
- Wednesday, Oct. 25 -- Duke Energy Performance for 7th graders
- Thursday, Oct. 26 -- First C.O.L.E (charter based version of Battle of the Books) meeting for 4th and 5th graders, 7:30, art room
- Friday, Oct. 27 -- PTO Fall Carnival, 5:30-8:00---Hope you can join us!
- Monday, Oct. 31 -- Fall Make-up Picture Day